Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Mama Sita, Melbourne


If you know that I'm going to Melbourne and you really need to catch me but can't reach me, chances are you will have a good chance to see me at Mama Sita. I discovered this amazing Mexican restaurant on my 2nd trip to Melbourne, introduced by my high school bestie, nicknamed Babian. She knows her food. That is one of the reason why she is my friend. I don't think I have friends who don't love and know their food...



Their homemade salsa is one of the best things in life. On my second visit, I think we had about 3 or 4 of these... The staff thought we were behaving badly... But they were just TOO good!

Anyway, three things you MUST order when you are here are: elotes callejeros (street style chargrilled corn with cheese, chipotle mayo and lime), tostaditas de pollo (fried tortilla topped with chargrilled chicken, avocado, fresh cheese and chipotle mayo), and tacos de camarones (soft taco with marinated prawns, habanero chillies and chipotle almond salsa). Ohhh God, I am drooling as I typed those!

Nachos dip: red salsa and guacamole

I raised my eyebrows when Babian raved about the grilled corn on the cob that we just have to order - but she said to trust her and despite my doubts I did and was totally blown away. It is simply the best chargrilled corn on the cob ever. I think it has to be the combination of the chipotle mayo and the cheese. Sweet, sour, savory with that crunchy corn.... yummmm

elotes callejeros (street style chargrilled corn with cheese, chipotle mayo and lime)

Babian ordered me (she did not let me order) tostitadas de carnitas, which was slowly braised pork shoulder, encurtidos and jalapeno. I liked it, it was spicy, but my favorite was tostitadas de pollo. Considering chicken is my least favorite meat ever, it's definitely amazing. On my second visit to Mama Sita, we ordered 2 servings of tostitadas de pollo and a mixture of others as we had new people. I made sure I had 2 of the chicken one tho hahahaha, benefit of hindsight ;)

Tostitadas: pork (left) and chicken (right)

Here, they only serve soft tacos. So don't go in ordering crispy tacos. Again, I never had prawn tacos. I usually go with beef or pork. And again, I was blown away. The prawn tacos were simply the best kinds of tacos I've ever eaten. Light and fresh, it killed my hunger without making me feel like I just stuffed myself with a whole cow. On my second visit, the boys and Babian ordered a 2nd round of the prawn tacos... I would too if I didn't have such a late lunch that day. It's that good, trust me.

Pulled pork tacos

(i heart) prawn tacos

On my first visit, I had the sangria which was yum. However, on my 2nd one I had margaritas which was also amazing. I had 3 of those. I can't decide which one is better, I think it will depend on what you feel like having. I didn't bring my camera with me on the 2nd visit, but we tried the helado de maiz (sweet corn ice cream cone and caramelize popcorn) and frituras de manzana (apple fritters and vanilla pear sorbet). Both were yum.

Sangria =)

All I can say is that I am currently plotting another trip to Mama Sita... that's right, NOT Melbourne, but to Mama Sita. Oooooopa!

Mama Sita
Level 1/11 Collins St
Melbourne, VIC 3000
+61 3 9650 3821
Click here for website

Mamasita on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

Share your thoughts and make my day! Let me know that I am not blogging in vain...